Re: No NFS mount of CDROM

Homme R. Bitter (homme@vuurwerk.nl)
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 07:56:05 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999, Riley Williams wrote:

> > I'm running Redhat 6 now and this is certainly not the case any
> > longer. I AM DYING HERE!!! Take a nice feature and then fix it,
> > man. Excuse my obvious frustration, but I've spent the last 6
> > freaking hours reading, searching, trying, yada, yada, yada and
> > have gotten NOWHERE. God, am I a MORON or what?! Can it really
> > be this freaking difficult?
>
> I'm not sure what your problem is, but I have both RedHat 5.2 and
> RedHat 6.0 systems on my private network, and I have cdrom drives
> exported both ways without problem.

I'm pretty sure he has security options on, the standard kernel supplied
with RH6 has problems with the access permissions, notably the uid/gid
squashing and some other issues I can't remember right now.
I've had the same problem with the stock kernel, I solved this by
exporting world readable and not using RH6 / kernel 2.2 for machines that
need more security then that.

> The only problem I have noted is that kernels 2.2.9 and 2.2.10 appear
> to have problems with the nfs daemon, as it refuses to start up under
> those kernels. On 2.2.9 it just fails silently, and on 2.2.10 it
> reports that nfssvc is not available...

I am currently using 2.2.10-ac12 on the only production machine that runs
a 2.2.X kernel, I haven't tried permissions, but the NFS server and
client don't seem to fail for me, uptime over a week now and used by 20
people as home.

Reading this list I discovered that knfs is still being in a debugging
phase, so I think everyones mileage may vary depending on their
circumstances.

Cheers,

--
Homme R. Bitter

There are three ways to get something done: (1) Do it yourself.
(2) Hire someone to do it for you. (3) Forbid your kids to do it.