Re: How to use serial port to substitude keyboard?

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 08:11:31 +0400 (MSD)

In <016b01bedee1$c8449be0$72018282@devp_8.dic_si> Jean-Miel Lee (jean-miel@263.net) wrote:
> Hello,

> I'm setuping a system without keyboard, but with VGA in. I don't want to
> just login from /dev/ttyS0, because the display will be outputed to
> /dev/ttyS0 too.

> Could I using a serial input device to substitue keyboard, just like a
> terminal without display, for example, press Alt-Fn will change to the
> vitual terminal n, press Shift-Pgup to scroll back.

It CAN be done, of course, but you'll need to modify kernel (or write special
program with "raw keyboard mode" usage -- of course it'll work if you do not
need SysRq stuff).

> I read file in linux/drivers/char for several days, I still don't know how
> /dev/tty1-63 connected to /dev/tty ( I thought it's the base keyboard, is
> it? ).

No. /dev/tty is just "current tty" (for process). It can be used with
/dev/ttyS0, for example.

> And I know I should write a new serial driver, and disable the whole
> keyboard.

Not just that. You must modify console to interact with your serial driver :-)
There are NO thing like "keyboard" or "video" in userspace. All comunication
is inside kernel. So you should change it in kernel...