Re: Modular Kernel Security

Bernd Eckenfels (ecki@lina.inka.de)
Thu, 05 Aug 1999 02:36:28 +0200

In article <ce332fe2a75f0fd7e5bed08eab129332@anonymous> you wrote:
> As a first approach I was thinking generically of a matched set of kernel
> and modules, that recognize and work with only each other.

A good idea would be to allow loading/unloading of modules only for root...
oh way it is already the case...

> Since the only cryptographic process here would be signing, I don't think
> this would impact kernel distribution.

It wont help against root intruders. Unless the trust model inside the linux
kernels gets an additional "ring" you cant be safe about root users
compromising your system. Capabilities of course do help here.

Greetings
Bernd