Re: info format (was Re: Linux 2.2.11pre4)

Bob_Tracy (rct@gherkin.sa.wlk.com)
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 16:35:04 -0500 (CDT)

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Bob_Tracy wrote:
> >
> > H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > >
> > > OTOH, it is even more ridiculous to not maintain the man page for
> > > "cp". If there was a dvi browser which would preserve the hyperlinks,
> > > that would perhaps be another issue...
>
> AHEM... if you're going to quote me, please don't edit what I said!
>
> You're taking two points of mine and making them look like they connect
> together, which is NOT my intent.

Which was not my intent either: I was overly concerned with not quoting
more text than I felt necessary to provide context, and I obviously
failed to provide adequate context from your perspective, for which I
apologize. I strongly supported your first point, and tried to use the
second as an example of the movement away from man pages that I object to.

To several of you that took my earlier comments as whining and/or called
me a bench-warmer: you don't know me, and IMO you missed my intent, but
neither point is germane to the discussion. What I sincerely hope people
*do* get out of my comments is that there's a need and a place for
concise documentation of applications, and if you choose to not provide
a man page, IMO you've overlooked the best way to reach the largest
number of users.

Let me try to put it another way. Linus doesn't like "info" format.
Neither do I, for the reasons stated in my earlier note. Does either
opinion carry any weight? Neither should unless we represent the
majority viewpoint of the audience you are trying to reach as an
author of documentation. I happen to prefer man pages, but nowhere
did I state or imply that it's your job to make me happy. I *will*
grumble as I deal with your "info" format documents, but in the end
I'll be grateful that you took the time to provide something rather
than nothing. Yes, I could have done a better job of saying that the
first time around.

--
Bob Tracy               |  "They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist- "
Firewall Security Corp. |   - Last words of Union General John Sedgwick,