Re: fsck and 2.3.12 oddity

Mike (mike@oxlug.org)
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 20:44:39 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Mike wrote:
>
> > Everything works fine unless /dev/sda6 wasn't cleanly unmounted, when
> > fsck hangs. It has to be sda6 - all other filesystems (ide and scsi)
> > fsck works fine. The same happens in 2.3.10, but 2.3.5 is fine.
>
> What hangs? The kernel or fsck?
>
> And what do you mean by "hang"?

Looks like its the kernel. I can still switch ttys, ctrl-scroll lock etc,
but nothing else. Ctrl-Alt-SysRq-S prints Emergency Sync, but doesn't
actually do it. Ctrl-Alt-SysRq-B works.

> > If there's anything else that might help, it can be provided.
>
> Try a Ctrl-Scroll lock and see what it's up to. Is it in the
> "D" state?

According to Ctrl-Scroll lock it is in state R, but whether that is
reliable given that the kernel has died I'm not sure.

> Is sda6 you root partition? Is there any swap available when
> it dies?

sda6 is /home. It only dies if there is no swap.

> Someone has reported a potential deadlock when no swap is available,
> and this sounds just the thing to trigger it.

Yes. That looks like it. I'll try Kevin Buhr's patch and see if that
helps.

Thanks

--
Mike <rickettm@ox.compsoc.net>

"Time is money and money can't buy you love and I love your outfit" - T.H.U.N.D.E.R. #1