Re: info format (was Re: Linux 2.2.11pre4)

Michal Jaegermann (michal@ellpspace.math.ualberta.ca)
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 10:12:03 -0600 (MDT)

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > This is somewhat ridiculous for documents with sizes of a few hundreds
> > pages (and your disk is likely full of such documents). This was
> > tried
> > with Perl4, for example, and results were not very friendly.
> > A 'manpage' around 10 printed pages in size is already pushing, IMO.
> >

> OTOH, it is even more ridiculous to not maintain the man page for
> "cp".

Here you have an issue with an FSF documentation policies; this is
another story.

> There are some MAJOR problems with info, however; one of them being
> the requirement of a system-wide index

Even this is not really the case. Yes, it is very convenient
to have such index (automated tools for a creation anyone?) but
I used many times 'info -f' and equivalent from emacs and lived
to tell the tale. :-) I think that once again you are mixing
reader interfaces, which you happen do not like, with a format
itself.

> If there was a dvi browser which would preserve the hyperlinks, that
> would perhaps be another issue;

DVI previewers which know about hyperlinks are available for quite
a while, although not very widespread for various reasons. Why would
anyone want to use that for documentation reading is not very clear
to me.

> perhaps someone ought to make a decent way for TeX to output PDF...

Oh, no! Not that stinker. PDF is still major pain in the ass
and after all these years Adobe still cannot release a PDF reader
without serious bugs (they are probably less visible to "English only"
people). This likely says something about the format. I would also
like to see how you make updates and corrections on your document
which you got only in PDF format.

But if you are really so inclined than 'pdftex' is quite possibly
on your disk.

Michal