Re: More linker magic..

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 13:47:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Alan Cox wrote:

> > So I think the "automatic initialization" is really only useful for
> > anonymous stuff. Device drivers, normal kernel threads, that kind of
> > things. Anything more complicated might as well just do proper
>
> ISA device order has a lot of subtle ordering rules, some tied
> to PCI
>
> I2O before PCI
> Network cards in a strict order for ISA probes
> Sound cards before joysticks - ISA sound card order is critical
>
> Maybe for ISA we should just admit defeat and leave ISA devices as they
> are now

Probably. I really think it's a matter of "if this device really doesn't
have any ordering constraints, then we can use the new nifty feature to
make it invisible to most users".

That still covers quite a lot of ground. Basically all PCI drivers, and a
lot of software-only initializations. Stuff that can now be safely handled
in modules, in short.

Linus