Re: Your backup is unsafe!

Kent Overstreet (kent@kent.net)
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 12:43:49 -0800 (AKDT)

On 3 Aug 1999, Chris Adams wrote:

> Once upon a time, Kent Overstreet <kent@kent.net> said:
> >Ok, now I get it. But A) you *generally* aren't going to be restoring just
> >one and B) if you're using windows and can use the long filename, then the
> >short filename probably isn't really going to matter. This is really the
>
> Problem with A): You make "Long filename xyz.txt" => "LONGFI~1.TXT" and
> then "Long filename abc.txt" => "LONGFI~2.TXT". Now, backup and
> restore. If the files are restored in alphabetical order, then the
> names are backwards. That is, now "Long filename xyz.txt" =>
> "LONGFI~2.TXT" and "Long filename abc.txt" => "LONGFI~1.TXT". It
> doesn't matter if you are restoring just one file or the whole
> filesystem - the names can still get destroyed.
>
> Problem with B): Windows stores the generated short filenames instead of
> the original long filesnames in the registry for some random things.
> For example, IIRC, the list of registered DLLs uses all short names.
> The short name also ends up in the Start menu sometimes (or in any
> shortcut).

First, we need to shoot whatever brain-dead "programmers" in Redmond that
thought of this.

Ok, how about a program (like the one on the windows cd) that reads the
long/short filename mappings and saves them in a file, then after you
restore, it changes the 8.3 filenames back. Support might be needed in the
kernel for the restore, and it's a bit of a hack, but it works and
withought messing with anything more than we have to.