MMIO space (was Re: New kernel/resource.c)

Jeff Garzik (garzik@pobox.com)
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 15:55:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Roger Gammans wrote:
> The way round it I keep thinking of is to have generic scheme like
>
> {read,write}{b,w,l}_resource(resource * res.int offset,
> {byte,word,long} *data);

That seems incredibly cumbersome.

All of those physical bus addresses are remapped using ioremap,
so the arch writel() should do the right thing, given the right address...

It might be nice to add flags to ioremap for bus-specific logic. Right
now magic like the following has to occur on some platforms:
virt = ioremap (phys + ISA_BASE, size)

it would be much cleaner if that changed to
virt = ioremap (phys, size, BUS_PCI)