Re: Saving device driver state during shutdown

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Tue, 3 Aug 1999 01:16:00 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Joe Cotellese wrote:

>I want to preface this mail by saying I 'm coming from a
>Windows background and am still thinking along those lines. If
>this is a dumb idea let me know.

Point noted.

>Can anyone tell me if a method exists for saving device driver
>state during shutdown.

That would depend on the exact device you are refering to.

>It seems to me that there may be instances where devices might need
>to save some state information (in my case, audio mixer settings) during
>shutdown.

You mean like RedHat 6.0 does right out of the box when you
enable the sound service in your main runlevel (which is on by
default, and works so long as the software was installed)?

>Searching through the kernel sources and various on-line
>references I didn't see anything like this. Does anyone think
>this is a good idea? If not, does another method exists for
>saving state, for example an ioctl interface to a ring 3
>component?

If it is just saving your mixer settings that you are worried
about, this has nothing to do whatsoever with the kernel. Any
setting that can be read from ANY device on the system, which can
also be equally written to, can be saved to disk by some program
or another, and stored back upon bootup. The redhat default
install does this for the mixer allready, unless one has not
installed the required sound packages, or has disabled the
boot time sound service.

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

Tea, Earl Grey, Hot...