Re: Questions regarding Linux swapping.

Marc Mutz (Marc@Mutz.com)
Mon, 02 Aug 1999 22:18:04 +0200

linuxkernel@NewMail.Net wrote:

<snip>
> Let's say I have 4 harddisks (not partition, physically
> harddisks) in my machine.
>
> Disk A is a 3 GB ide
> Disk B is a 2 GB ide
> Disk C is a 6 GB scsi
> Disk D is a 3 GB scsi
>
> Should I set up swap-areas on each of the disks?
<snip>
Use 2 swap partitions on each of the SCSI disks. Size them
proportionally to their speed.
I always put swap partitions in the middle of the disks, because swap
relies on fast seeks and not on fast continuous I/O performance you get
in the outer regions. Seeks to the middle of the disk take less time
statistically. But remember "middle-of-disk != middle of capacity".

Marc

--
Marc Mutz <Marc@Mutz.com>                    http://marc.mutz.com/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's: 0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)