Re: WARNING: GCC 2.9.5 & Linux

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 20:28:02 +0100

On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 08:25:19AM -0400, Horst von Brand wrote:

> I've been compiling my 2.1.x and later kernels with egcs snapshots (lately
> gcc-2.95 snapshots) for something like a year and a half now. The problems
> that surfaced where mostly fixed promptly. The current need for
> -fno-strict-aliasing is bound to stay for a while, but the Makefiles for
> the current 2.3.x take care of that automatically.

What /is/ the issue with the strict aliasing code? I was under the impression
that it "merely" screwed up code that did icky things with pointers to members
of unions. Comments made here about Linus' view on the thing sounds like it
is some horrendous problem that may never get sorted. Which is the case?

Looking at the EGCS/GCC manual section for strict-aliasing, is this the sort
of `grunt work' that the unwashed multitude like myself could plow through
and fix? How big a job is it? Is it even worth it?

--
    "But we're a university.  We /have/ to have a library!..."said Ridcully,
         "What sort of people would we be if we didn't go into the library?"