Re: Linux 2.2.11pre4

Michael Elizabeth Chastain (mec@shout.net)
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 13:40:34 -0500

Linus Torvalds writes:

> It can be irritating as hell, but I couldn't come up with any reasonable
> fix. Maybe somebody can come up with a better .hdepend strategy that won't
> have that confusion. I couldn't make "make" do what I wanted any way that
> didn't have this problem.

Touching .h files is a kludge. I have a whole new set of Makefiles
that doesn't touch the .h files at all, and it runs faster than the
existing Makefiles, too.

In the meantime, how about changing scripts/mkdep.c to emit .PRECIOUS
lines for the appropriate files? .PRECIOUS is well-documented and it's
meant for this problem. And mkdep.c knows when it is emitting a "touch"
command, so on the next line, it could easily add ".PRECIOUS : foo.h ;".

I don't have time to mess with this myself, but if someone wants to
send me a patch, I can test it.

Michael Elizabeth Chastain
<mailto:mec@shout.net>
"love without fear"