Re: Linux 2.2.11pre4

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 10:29:08 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 2 Aug 1999, Oliver Xymoron wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>
> > I wouldn't know, because it's not documented in the man-page due to the
> > silly FSF hatred towards man-pages and being easy to use.
>
> Heh. The obvious solution has always seemed to me that man(1) should be
> taught about info files.

Why? The obvious solution has always appeared to be to just get rid of
info files.

The "info" interface makes sense only to people who grok GNU emacs, and if
you actually want to be user-friendly you either use "man" (because that's
how everything else is documented and then you could actually just tell
people to use man everywhere) or you use HTML (because that's a _useful_
format that even non-emacsheads can understand).

Linus