Re: Linux 2.2.11pre4

Eugene Crosser (crosser@average.org)
2 Aug 1999 10:49:23 +0400

In article <Pine.LNX.4.10.9908011236280.3434-100000@penguin.transmeta.com>,
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:

>> Would .PRECIOUS /path/file.h for all .h files at the end of the
>> .hdepend files fix the problem?
>
> I wouldn't know, because it's not documented in the man-page due to the
> silly FSF hatred towards man-pages and being easy to use.
>
> What does .PRECIOUS do? I assume it avoids removing the file, and if so,
> yes it sounds like it would fix the issue, but it is actually officially
> documented and supported?

Now since Przemek Borys wrote the `pinfo' info viewer it is at last
possible to read those info files...

Special Built-in Target Names
`.PRECIOUS'
The targets which `.PRECIOUS' depends on are given the following
special treatment: if `make' is killed or interrupted during the
execution of their commands, the target is not deleted. *Note
Interrupting or Killing `make': Interrupts. Also, if the target
is an intermediate file, it will not be deleted after it is no
longer needed, as is normally done. *Note Chains of Implicit
Rules: Chained Rules.

Eugene