Re: Linux 2.2.11pre4

Horst von Brand (vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl)
Sun, 01 Aug 1999 21:16:16 -0400

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> said:
> On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Keith Owens wrote:

[...]

> > Would .PRECIOUS /path/file.h for all .h files at the end of the
> > .hdepend files fix the problem?

> I wouldn't know, because it's not documented in the man-page due to the
> silly FSF hatred towards man-pages and being easy to use.

Check!

> What does .PRECIOUS do? I assume it avoids removing the file, and if so,
> yes it sounds like it would fix the issue, but it is actually officially
> documented and supported?

Looks like it, from the info for make. AFAIR, it has been there the better
part of forever. In "GNU make", under "Special Targets" one finds:

`.PRECIOUS'
The targets which `.PRECIOUS' depends on are given the following
special treatment: if `make' is killed or interrupted during the
execution of their commands, the target is not deleted. *Note
Interrupting or Killing `make': Interrupts. Also, if the target
is an intermediate file, it will not be deleted after it is no
longer needed, as is normally done. *Note Chains of Implicit
Rules: Chained Rules.

--
Horst von Brand                             vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Viņa del Mar, Chile                               +56 32 672616