Re: Your backup is unsafe!

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 12:05:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Matthew Kirkwood wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Aug 1999, Khimenko Victor wrote:
>
> > > The reason I ask this is that my understanding of the way the VFAT fs
> > > works implies that the two names are effectively independant, and the
> > > only requirement attached to them is that they both point to the same
> > > file.
> >
> > Wrong. LFN is attached to short name.
>
> Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds very like an
> LFN is actually a (rather restricted) symlink.
>
> Perhaps that's a potential solution.

Damn. It looks like it's time to write a FAQ on the VFAT bogosities.
Please, look through the list archive for last 24 hours. Symlinks do not
move after the file, for one. And file doesn't become a symlink when you
rename it.

> It could make for rather ugly directory listings, but IMO
> that's better than the ugly code that we have now.

All handling of aliases you *can* eliminate this way sits in one (small)
function. And you'll have to reintroduce it in ->follow_link().