Re: SGI to be involved in core kernel development?

Ralf Baechle (ralf@uni-koblenz.de)
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 10:40:16 +0200

On Fri, Jul 30, 1999 at 06:42:41PM -0500, Steve Bergman wrote:

> I just ran into this interesting article at linuxtoday.com. ( See:
> http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,39942,00.html?owv ) Here is an
> excerpt:
>
> "You're really caught in a bind how much value you can add to the NT
> operating system," because Microsoft controls the development, Silverman
> said. SGI hopes to stand out from the crowd by making its Intel servers
> able to use dozens or even hundreds of processors, and for that, "you
> need an operating system where you can actually muck around with the
> kernel," he said.

Indeed, IRIX's internals in many points do no longer look too similar to
a generic SysV.

> Comments?

Another hint - and I'll leave the interpretation to you - I'm currently
porting Linux/MIPS to SGI's Origin 200 series. Right now the kernel is
still unusable, but full support for my system (two Origin 200 modules
in maximum configuration) is on my to-do list.

Ralf