Re: RFC: Dynamic group limit

Mattias.Gronlund (Mattias.Gronlund@sa.erisoft.se)
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 14:07:07 +0200

Frank van Maarseveen wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 28, 1999 at 12:05:11PM +0200, Mattias.Gronlund wrote:
> > I do not know enought about searching algorithms to just stef forward
> > and say
> > which to use, I might just try to implement it with a hash...
> Me too. But there exist something called AVL (binary tree, balanced)
> which is much more scalable. I believe it is already in the kernel.

I have been thinking about this for some days now and I have come to the
conclution that a shell-sort and binary search will be what I implement
in my first patch.

I have been thinking about adding a special case to
detect an allready sorted array, it will cost N extra comparisions
for the non sorted cases. But It will give applications like SAMBA that
do switch between root and its groups and a user and its groups to use
an faster route by sending in the same array as was returned by
getgroups
when returning to the user or to root.

/Mattias