Re: What's this?

Jonathan C. Masters (mastersj@periscope-systems.freeserve.co.uk)
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:28:13 +0100

I've got a similar problem. I have a motherboard with the standard 2 IDE
controllers. The primary has two FUJITSU drives (1x6.4Gb UDMA, 1x10.8Gb
NO UDMA - or so it seems), the secondary has 1xASUS 34X CDROM,
1xAOPEN CD-ReWriter (4x4x20x).

In my init scripts, specifically in my "local" script, I activate 32 bit IO
on both FUJITSU drives, and UDMA on the 6Gb one. If I attempt to activate
UDMA on the newer 10Gb disk, it gives errors similar to those above and then
resets the ide device. I deduced that the newer disk doesn't like UDMA.
However, the older disk operates at 12Mb/sec, whereas the newer goes at about
5, therefore since the 10Gb is newer, I believe that the problem is with
Linux not the drive, since it ought to be as fast (or faster) than the old
one - shorly? Also, since both disks are on the same controller, it seems to
cause throughput problems when both are accessed together. Is it recommened
that I move the drivesaround so that there is only one hdd on each controller
to prevent the two drives simultaneous access reducing throughput?

can send more details if asked.

Jonathan Miles wrote:

> > With kernels 2.2.* I have the following disaster....
> > =======
> > kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> > kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> > kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> > kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> > kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> > kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> > kernel: hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> > kernel: hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> > kernel: hda: DMA disabled
> > kernel: ide0: reset: success
> > ========
> > Why so happens and how to fix it?
>
> I was just about to post something similar... I get the problem on 2.0.37
> as well as 2.2.x on a UDMA drive that is being used without UDMA turned
> on. I've pasted relevant information below, let me know if anything else
> will be of use.
>
> IDE interface: Intel 82371SB PIIX3 IDE (rev 0).
> Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable. Master Capable. Latency=32.
> I/O at 0xf000 [0xf001].
>
> PIIX3: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
> PIIX3: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
> hda: SAMSUNG WN312021A (1.2 GB), ATA DISK drive
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> hda: SAMSUNG WN312021A (1.2 GB), 1151MB w/109kB Cache, CHS=585/64/63, DMA
>
> This message repeats itself at various times, with no noticeable problems:
>
> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hda: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=51373,
> sector=51278
> end_request: I/O error, dev 03:01 (hda), sector 51278
>
> defiant:~# uname -a
> Linux defiant 2.2.7 #1 Fri Jul 30 15:58:21 BST 1999 i586 unknown
>
> -
> Jonathan Miles <jon@zetnet.net>
>
> -

Jonathan C. Masters                     (jonathan@oxlug.org)
                                        PGP: www.brookes.ac.uk/~95227860/KEY

"Upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it".

-- Matthew 16, 17-18