Re: No Answers Yet !!!

Dale Botkin (dale@botkin.org)
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 17:05:14 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999, Hormuzd KHOSRAVI wrote:

> i have been faced with a very wiered problem. I have set up a testbed
> consisting of a 2 hosts and 1 router (all linux boxes). The router has 2
> interface cards and both have different subnet addresses and the router
> has been configured to route packets between the subnets. The 2 hosts have
> different subnet addresses and route packets to each other via the
> router(gw). They are all connected thru the same physical hub though !
>
> The problem is that the ping works fine from host1 to host2 but from
> host2 to host1 it only works after the arp cache in all the 3 machines
> have got updated with the hardware addresses. it doesnt work otherwise.
>
> could anyone have a clue what the problem could be ??
>
> The answer could be related to the fact that on the router one of the
> interface address that i am using for routing is configured as an alias.
>
> I would also appreciate if someone could point me out to any bugs that
> have been reported in IP Aliasing in kernel 2.2.2. Thanks a lot.

I don't see any glaring problems with the configs, though I may be blind
after today's work. Have you tried:

1. Using an ethernet xover cable to wire one station directly to the
router, so the two stations don't see each others' MAC addresses, and

2. Swapping the "real" and alias addresses on the router interface so that
10.1.10.2 is not an alias?

Doing these two things might help narrow down the search a little. I'd
suspect that the stations seeing each others' real MAC addresses might
have something to do with it. Alias addresses have worked fine for me in
the past, though I haven't tried using them in a 2.2 kernel.

Let me know what you find out.

Dale

---
discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny ..."
                -- Isaac Asimov