Re: adaptec 1515 SCSI and cdrecord

Douglas Gilbert (dgilbert@interlog.com)
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 23:23:00 -0400

Ronald Verlaan wrote:

> I have the following problem and cannot find anything about this on the
> mailing list archive:
>
> I am using xcdroast (version 1.6.1 of cdrecord!) to burn cd's. My writer
> is a philips 2600 scsi. My scsi card is a ADAPTEC 1515 ISA.
>
> I am using this writer and this scsci card in my linux box for already 4
> years! It always worked without any problems.
>
> I am running SuSE linux 6.1 and am running always the latest STABLE
> kernel. I compile my kernel using the adaptec 152x driver for the scsi
> card.
>
> On kernel 2.2.5 it still works fine.
>
> However, every kernel above that, up to 2.2.10 makes my whole linux box
> hang (X windows freeze and no telnet to it possible also..) as soon as I
> start to write a cd. The write led on the writer does not even got a
> chance to lit.
>
> Kernel 2.2.5 still works 100% fine.... But I like to move on to the newer
> kernels. Anyone any idea what is wrong here??

Both the sg driver and the aha152x driver changed in the
2.2.5 to 2.2.6 transition. Rolling back the aha152x driver
to [kernel_2.2.5]/drivers/scsi/aha152x.[hc] has been
reported to work for others with this
cdrecord/sg/aha152x problem.

There are new patches on the aha152x driver in the
2.2.10-ac12 kernel so perhaps you could roll forward
to those. If you need more help, contact me.

Doug Gilbert
sg maintainer