Re: GPF, Oops on system halt

Jens Benecke (jens@pinguin.conetix.de)
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 19:07:09 +0200

On Wed, Jul 28, 1999 at 05:11:21PM -0400, Ethan C. Baldridge wrote:

> > I think the right solution is to remove the -p from the last line in
> > /etc/init.d/halt (assuming RedHat), which is telling halt to reboot
> > with the poweroff option.
> that fixed it - thanks a lot! What caused it - buggy bios, or AMD
> processor?

I had this as well (EPOX mainboard, AWARD bios), and as far as I was told
there are BIOS versions out there that need to be in real mode to
power-off. A BIOS update fixed that for me ... it said in the README that
this update "fixes the Linux shutdown bug". =)

--
_ciao, Jens_______________________________ http://www.pinguin.conetix.de

Anyone comfortable with using Linux shall use it. | "I'm afraid Linux has a Anyone wanting to tell other people what they | year-429496 problem" should be using can go work for Microsoft. | -- Kernel mailing list