Re: clone, mm->count, and coredumps

Kurt Garloff (garloff@suse.de)
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 20:47:42 +0200

--pvezYHf7grwyp3Bc

On Thu, Jul 29, 1999 at 10:05:40AM +0530, Ramakrishna@canine.wipinfo.soft.n=
et wrote:
>=20
> Since all the threads ( processes in Linux, though cloned and sharing s=
ame
> MM ) might be running at the time of core-dump in one of the threads,
> there is most likely possibility of the MM getting changed by the time
> the dump file is written. This is so because the other processes do not
> have any knowledge of one of the threads( cloned processes ) being dump=
ed.
>=20
> Though the context ( registers etc ) at the time of dump for the thread=
=20
> dumping core match the ones at theattime of dump , the data in the dump=
=20
> will not reflect the MM data at that point in time for the above reason.

Probably your threads have some mean of synchronization and do not wildly
write all over their MM but each thread into some private memory area and
some shared area synchronized by Semaphores (or whatever).
So the core for the SIGSEGV thread is likely to contain useful info for
debugging and we shouold dump it to disk. core-$PID is a good idea, however.

Regards,
--=20
Kurt Garloff <garloff@suse.de> SuSE GmbH, N=FCrnberg, FRG
Linux kernel development; SCSI drivers: tmscsim(DC390), DC395

--pvezYHf7grwyp3Bc

--pvezYHf7grwyp3Bc--