Re: random lockups on new computers

Raymond A. Ingles (inglesra@frc.com)
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 08:23:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Steve Underwood wrote:

> " Raymond A. Ingles" wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, David Hamm wrote:
> >
> > > Stranger yet. I've found that I can turn on level 2 cache and set the access
> > > speed of the ram to 7ns ( which is even faster than before ) and the problem
> > > goes away. If I leave the speed set to 7ns will I have problems later?
> >
> > Hmmm. What I'd recommend is running a script overnight; compile the
> > kernel over and over and over again.
[...]
> Not really. If you keep doing the same thing you probably won't hit the problem,
> unless you hit it on the first pass.

Memory problems are often timing-sensitive, and timing does vary,
sometimes subtly, sometimes greatly. I know that when I had the problem I
described, I could compile the kernel roughly two times out of three. I
never got past five kernel compiles without a seg fault or even disk cache
corruption.

After I swapped the memory, I compiled 80 kernels in a row without a
single fault. I consider that cured.

As the Sig-11 FAQ (http://www.bitwizard.nl/sig11/) states:

QUESTION

Does it only happen when I compile a kernel?

ANSWER

Nope. There is no way your hardware can know that you are compiling a
kernel. It just so happens that a kernel compile is very tough on your
hardware, so it just happens a lot when you are compiling a kernel.
Compiling other large packages like gcc or glibc also often trigger the
sig11.

People have seen "random" crashes for example while installing using
the slackware installation
script.... -- dhn@pluto.njcc.com
Others get "general protection errors" from the kernel (with the
crashdump). These are usually in
/var/adm/messages. -- fox@graphics.cs.nyu.edu

I will also note that memtest86 found no problems with the system. Kernel
compiling was the most reliable way to reproduce the problem on my system.

Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (248)377-7735 ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com
Free Stereogram!
Try to make the two "O"s in the next row look like three:
O O
n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n
f f f f f f f f f f f f f f
e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e e