Re: Microsecond resolution timers - final word

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 23:05:17 +0100 (GMT)

On Tue, 27 Jul 1999, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > I'm in the middle of writing a driver for some obscure hardware I have.
> > Problem is, it requires some very specific timing: in some places, it expects
> > a response to a request within 20-40 microseconds. (Device is accessed via the
> > parallel port.)
>
> You'll need your driver to go into kernel, and udelay() is the way to
> go.

I've actually got an ioctl for ppdev which prepares in advance a response
(in terms of the control lines) to an interrupt, so that the time taken to
set a control line in response to an interrupt is as short as possible.

But I don't think this is applicable to this particular situation.

Tim.
*/