Re: random lockups on new computers

Raymond A. Ingles (inglesra@frc.com)
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 14:36:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, David Hamm wrote:

> Stranger yet. I've found that I can turn on level 2 cache and set the access
> speed of the ram to 7ns ( which is even faster than before ) and the problem
> goes away. If I leave the speed set to 7ns will I have problems later?

Hmmm. What I'd recommend is running a script overnight; compile the
kernel over and over and over again. This seems to be the single best way
to find hardware problems in Linux. If you can compile, say, 50 or 60
kernels without a seg fault or other error, then you're probably safe
leaving it at that speed.

Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (248) 377-7735 ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

"Una saus victus nullam sperare salutem." - The one hope of the damned
is not to hope for safety.