Re: [RFC] RT signals

Richard Henderson (rth@cygnus.com)
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 10:48:31 -0700

On Wed, Jul 28, 1999 at 05:35:15PM +0200, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> The implementation of POSIX timers which made it into 2.3.12pre adds a
> siginfo_t nrt_info[SIGRTMIN] array to task structure. That's 4K if I count
> well, which seems a little bit dangerous to me.

More than a little in my book.

A correct solution in my view is to attempt to dynamicly allocate
the siginfo structures from signal_queue_cachep. If we fail, then
we just send the signal without the info. No terrible loss there.

> Basically, it leaves the padding (the only huge thing in siginfo_t) only for
> userland and works only with the known field in the union.

No good -- sigqueueinfo(2) should be able to pass the whole thing
through from process to process.

> This patch also removes tss.sig_address and tss.sig_desc because it is
> obsoleted now when one can send info with non RT signals and tries to send
> info with a bunch of kernel generated signals.

Yep.

> Can you think of any reason why not to have all signals
> SA_SIGINFO other than binary compatibility

Nope.

r~