Re: random lockups on new computers

Simon Kenyon (simon@koala.ie)
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 15:56:50 +0100 (BST)

On 28-Jul-99 Raymond A. Ingles wrote:
> I have an ASUS P5A, with a K6-II/400MHz chip. I bought the CPU, the
> motherboard, and 128MB PC-100 SDRAM from the same place. It was flaky
> (random segfaults and other errors, especially when compiling the kernel)
> when the bus speed was 100MHz, and stable at 95MHz.

i was building a windows machine (yah booh sucks) for a client and i got a P5A
would it work - would it hell
got them another motherboard (smicro if i recall) and all was well
i kept the P5A - not sure why
i've just put linux on it and it is rock solid

same basic config
p5a, K6-ii/350, 128M SDRAM DIMM, Maxtor drive

you know, i suspect that a lot of the flakiness that is attributed
to microsoft could quite possibly be flaky hardware

--
Simon Kenyon
irial limited

10 Castle Avenue Tel: +353-1-8530624 Clontarf Mobile: +353-87-2805470 Dublin 3 Email: S.Kenyon@irial.com Ireland Web: http://www.irial.com/