Re: PROBLEM: 2.2.5 unstable on Dell PC, 2.0.36 is stable

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
28 Jul 1999 12:47:11 +0200

In article <cistron.9907281021.AA32636@bathurst>,
Richard Black <rjb@dcs.gla.ac.uk> wrote:

>From Documentation/serial-console.txt
>
>> You can specify multiple console= options on the kernel command line.
>> Output will appear on all of them. The last device will be used when
>> you open /dev/console. So, for example:
>>
>> console=ttyS1,9600 console=tty0
>>
>> defines that opening /dev/console will get you the current foreground
>> virtual console, and kernel messages will appear on both the VGA
>> console and the 2nd serial port (ttyS1 or COM2) at 9600 baud.
>
>easter:~> cat /proc/cmdline
>auto BOOT_IMAGE=linux-2.2.10 ro root=801 console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600n8
>easter:~> really "echo foo > /dev/ttyS0"
>easter:~> really "echo bar > /dev/console"
>
>The string foo appears on the other logging machine, but not bar and
>none of the kernel messages appear.

Read the text again:

kernel messages will appear on both the VGA console and the 2nd serial port
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"echo bar > /dev/console" is not a kernel message. You're just
opening /dev/console in usermode. The docs say:

The last device will be used when you open /dev/console

If the kernel messages do not appear either - did you turn on the
serial console option when compiling the kernel ?

Mike.

--
... somehow I have a feeling the hurting hasn't even begun yet
	-- Bill, "The Terrible Thunderlizards"