Re: low priority soft RT?

yodaiken@chelm.cs.nmt.edu
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 21:20:23 -0600

On Wed, Jul 28, 1999 at 12:47:20AM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:32:07 +0100, Steve Dodd <dirk@loth.demon.co.uk>
> said:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 27, 1999 at 06:00:11AM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> >> "Priority inheritance."
>
> > Priority inversion?
> > Or is that something different?
>
> Two names, same issue. I've heard some people use "priority inversion"
> to describe the problem of a low-priority task holding a lock which
> blocks a higher priority task, and "priority inheritance" to describe
> the solution of increasing the priority of the blocking task. However,
> whichever term you use, everybody will understand what you mean. :)

In the academic realtime literature, for what it is worth,
priority inversion describes any situation in which a task is delayed by a lower priority task.
priority inheritance is one of several realted algorithms for boosting the priorities of
tasks holding exclusive use shared resources so that they can, it is hoped, release
the resource quickly.