Re: Microsecond resolution timers - final word

David Olofson (audiality@swipnet.se)
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 14:16:56 +0200

Riley Williams wrote:
(...)
> > Incidentally, the dos version does its timing using the hardware
> > timer at 0x40-0x5f...
>
> Presumably via a driver that plugs itself in there, then resets the
> timer to spin faster and only passes through every 100th (or whatever)
> tick to the routine behind it...

RTLinux periodic scheduler... Unless you absolutely refuse to use it!
;-)

> > ...though I don't think I'm allowed to do that.
>
> Nope, but you might wish to have a look at the various patches that
> raise Linux's HZ rate as those also allow suchlike increases to take
> place in a compatible manner...

Hmmm... So we're patching the kernel anyway... Why not do it real, and
get solid, reliable timing as an extra bonus? :-)

//David