Re: (disk/cpu) 2.3.11 kernel performance problem

Gerald Aigner (aigner@stanford.edu)
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 19:33:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Rik van Riel wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, Gerald Aigner wrote:
>
> > While optimizing the program I discovered that disk I/O
> > performance in Linux could be improved substantially. In
> > particular, there are two main problems:
> >
> > 1) The kernel copies data many times before it ends up in user
> > space.
>

> I'm very sorry, but you seem to be too late. This problem is
> (at least partially) fixed in the newer 2.3 kernels...

I just tried the 2.3.11 kernel. The new kernel is slightly faster
(67 seconds instead of 69 seconds) and it uses less CPU time (37% vs. 45%)

However 37% is still a very high CPU utilization.

> > 2) Using mmap doesn't help because it serializes I/O within a single
> > process (you can't read simultaneously from two disks).
>
> A single process uses a single thread of control, and yes,
> we do readahead over RAID0 sets...

Using mmap on the linux2.3.11 kernel takes now 105 seconds, which is
still slower than doing read system calls in separate threads.

However overall CPU utilization is lower (around 7%) using mmap.

So is there an easy way to make mmap as fast as read (in terms of
wall clock time).

-Gerald