Re: New virtual in-memory file system

Tim Ricketts (tr@oxlug.org)
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 16:59:56 +0100 (GMT)

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Riley Williams wrote:

> Hi Steve.
>
> > [uuencoded tarball]
>
> >> ===8<=== CUT ===>8===
>
> >> Obvious comment: What's all that junk for? I would presume it's some
> >> sort of encrypted version of your file system, but I've no means of
> >> handling it so can't do anything with it...
>
> > You're kidding, aren't you?
>
> Nope. I originally assumed it was uuencoded, but uudecode says
> otherwise...

Works here.

> Also, what's the point of using uuencode nowadays? All it does is
> bloat the filesize unnecessarily, thus increasing the download costs
> associated with it...

This sounded unlikely to me, so I sent two messages to myself. The first
contained virtfs.tar.gz uuencoded + my .sig. The second had a message
containing only my .sig with virtfs.tar.gz as a MIME attachment.

condor:~/mail/main$ ls -l test?
-rw------- 1 tr tr 6365 Jul 26 16:46 test1
-rw------- 1 tr tr 6912 Jul 26 16:45 test2
condor:~/mail/main$

i.e. on small files like this one, MIME produces larger mails than
uuencode.

--
Tim