Re: low priority soft RT?

cd_smith@ou.edu
Mon, 26 Jul 1999 12:34:19 -0500 (CDT)

Benny Amorsen <amorsen@sscnet.com> wrote:
> To test the effect, we would need a benchmark for which the kernel
> currently scales badly due to lock contention, but which also does a
> significant amount of user space processing.

I'm not sure how this would even theoretically be able to improve
performance, not that I think about it. If there is a task in user space
ready to do something, then it will be done and there's no point to
kicking another task out of kernel space (by boosting its priority). If
there is no task in user space and all the tasks are contending for the
kernel, then the task holding the kernel lock will be scheduled anyway,
and there is no point to trying to artificially favor the one task that
has the lock.

I'm probably missing something, but I don't know what. Anyway, if it
would be easy to extend Rik's patch to do that for all processes, it
wouldn't be too much trouble to benchmark.

Chris Smith <cd_smith@ou.edu>