Re: Partition Sizing

Fred Reimer (fwr@ga.prestige.net)
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 16:55:48 -0400

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Jens Benecke wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 1999 at 11:08:04AM +1000, Richard Gooch wrote:
> > >
> > > AFA /tmp is concerned, don't some OS's, like Solaris I believe, "mount"
> > > /tmp as a memory filesystem? What would be the benefits/problems with
> > > doing this in Linux (assuming that new memory filesystem that was just
> > > announced get stable/is a good idea)?
> > Slowass 2 has a tmpfs because their UFS implementation is dog slow. So
> > they had to do hack up tmpfs to give them a faster /tmp.
>
> So, educate me please: why don't you install all of Solaris on a tmpfs
> partition, if it's faster? ;)

It's my understanding that one of the reasons that one would use a
tmpfs for the /tmp directory is because by definition it would start
out "clean" upon reboot. By definition this would be the same reason
you wouldn't want to use it for the rest of the system -- you'd have to
reinstall your whole OS every time you rebooted.

Others have mentioned that a "good" use of such a system would be for
diskless stations, so that they would not have to transfer "temporary"
files over the 'net because they didn't have local disk storage...

fwr