Re: New kernel/resource.c

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 12:19:39 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 25 Jul 1999, Richard Henderson wrote:

> Hmm, actually we have more than 65536 generically on PCI. It's
> just the x86 that limits to 64k. I actually ran into trouble
> here the other day --

Yeehaa..

I wonder how many devices decode all 32 bits of an IO address. Maybe they
all do, but it sure hasn't gotten any testing by anybody. Considering that
ISA devices even today often only decode 10 bits for historical reasons, I
wouldn't find it surprising at all if there are PCI devices that only
bother with the low 16 bits - and they'd be really unhappy with any
aliasing...

Linus