Re: low priority soft RT?

cd_smith@ou.edu
Sun, 25 Jul 1999 14:08:27 -0500 (CDT)

Benny Amorsen <amorsen@sscnet.com> wrote:
> As it is, the kernel locks often become a bottleneck on systems with
> lots of penguins. Look at this scenario:

Just curious, what exactly do you mean by "lots of penguins"? I assume
you mean processes? What do penguins have to do with anything. ;)

> 1) A process currently sleeping in kernel mode is ready to go forward
>
> 2) At least one processor is busy running a SCHED_OTHER process
>
> Would it benefit throughput if it was guaranteed that the sleeping
> process gets to go forward at the expense of the already running
> process? It would mean that processes get out of kernel mode quicker.

Actually running? That would be bad. It would mean that we'd have to
preempt another processor, which I gather is a very expensive thing to do.
If you mean that when scheduling is already happening, run processes with
a kernel lock before processes without one, I don't know. It may be worth
benchmarking to decide.

Chris Smith <cd_smith@ou.edu>