Re: real-time threaded IO with low latency (audio)

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 16:35:43 -0400 (EDT)

Paul Barton-Davis writes:

>>> These all rely on external hardware if they do the job right.
>>
>> I disagree. It's just a matter of using the right kind of OS so
>> that the resources at hand can be used properly.
>
> you're not disagreeing with me :) the reason why the mac/windows DAW's
> use external hardware is because the OS they "run on" can't do the
> right thing.
>
> but note: its possible on both those systems for an application to own
> the machine in the same sense that RTL does. despite this, nobody has
> yet managed to produce an audio application without external hardware
> for those OS's that doesn't have latency problems. is it just that
> steinberg, creamware etc. are stupid, or is there something more
> important going on ? i mean, you really can hard real time as an
> application on the macos (even though its not a very friendly thing to
> do to the system), and yet ...

First of all, the external hardware serves as a dongle.
I'd guess you have to pay quite a bit for these tools.

Second of all, I don't think you want to get analog anywhere near
a computer. Think of all the electrical noise.

If I actually cared about perfect audio, I'd do a D->A conversion
inside the microphone. I'd oversample for both time and space,
then downsample inside a custom board. Other than the input itself,
nothing anywhere near an audio frequency would be allowed near the
microphone or cable.