Re: real-time threaded IO with low latency (audio)

Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Sat, 24 Jul 1999 16:50:19 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Oliver Xymoron wrote:

> Exactly. But it has never been intended to be a realtime system in the
> true sense of the word. Nor is that something we want to aim for. Consider
> for a moment that systems like QNX don't implement things like the page
> faulting half of virtual memory (though they still have separate address
> spaces) and ask yourself why they don't even in 1999 and you might begin
> to understand why there will never be an absolute guarantee on latency in
> Linux. Our average performance will be better though.

i agree that we are far from being RT, but i can see no contradiction
between having page-faultable virtual memory and soft-RT (or even
hard-RT). Obviously the RT process wants to use mlock().

-- mingo