Re: Is kernel autoconfig possible?

Oystein Viggen (oysteivi@tihlde.org)
23 Jul 1999 15:42:06 +0200

Bill Ward wrote:

> Hello everyone.
> I had an idea the other day that would require kernel autoconfig'ing
> (at compile-time), so I was wondering... Would it be possible to include
> a program in the kernel src tarball that could (after being compiled for
> the hardware it's on) probe for hardware that the new kernel would
> understand, but the old one doesn't? I don't know about the
> implementation details of doing something like this, but I would imagine
> that it would be quite non-trivial.
>
> Something like this would be _very_ nice for end-users (read:
> non-techie's), and many distro's could probably make use of it in some
> way or another (specifically, auto-updating the kernel (just nice gcc &
> make to about 20... ;-) )

...And then we could get hardware vendors to make their hardware in
such a way that the OS could decide which IRQ's and DMA's and stuff
that these pieces of hardware should use. Then we could give it a
catchy name to get people to use it. How about 'Plug and Play'? :)

Oystein, who likes his occasional bit of trolling

--
If it ain't broke, don't break it.