Re: Intel Xpress Server - IO APIC trouble - Kernel panic: IO APIC

Paul Wouters (paul@xtdnet.nl)
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 09:48:00 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Sunshine wrote:

> I am having some trouble getting any smp kernel to run on my ancient Pentium
> system. The problem I am having is that ( from what I have read in various
> linux smp documents) the my old Intel motherboard mp table is lying about
> the IRQ for the Real Time Clock. Thus preventing me from booting. The
> system boots up and detects both processors and then right after the IO-APIC
> starts I get this:

I have an Intel Xpress server based on 486dx2 (using a pentium chip replacement
from Kingston) and bugged Ingo Molnar once about smp not detecting anything.
After sending him some information he concluded Intel didn't keep to it's
own specification, and we gave up on it.
But this was some time ago. (also, my system doesn't have two cpu's anyway,
I was just chekcing to see if it was worth finding a cpu board for that thing)

I did notice weird things happen when you don't "certify" the bios data
with the EISA manager though. And in my bios there is an option to enable or
disable the io-apic.

Paul (these days messing with SMP P-II's, but alas, my asus board doesn't
seem to run on 100mhz :( )