Re: Partition Sizing

Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 01:13:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Fred Reimer wrote:

>AFA /tmp is concerned, don't some OS's, like Solaris I believe, "mount"
>/tmp as a memory filesystem? What would be the benefits/problems with
>doing this in Linux (assuming that new memory filesystem that was just
>announced get stable/is a good idea)?

It is called a ramdisk. I believe there is a howto. I can't see
how in todays technology age that ANY ramdisk speeds up ANY
system for ANY reason though. The memory is better used as
cache, etc... Forcing it to ramdisk needlessly wastes the unused
space IMHO.

I've yet to see anyone provide useful benchmark results that show
benefits of running ramdisks.

TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                   Linux advocate      GNU advocate
Computer Consultant                          Open Source advocate

Tea, Earl Grey, Hot...