Re: QUESTION: modifying kernel functions in a running kernel

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 19:41:35 +0100

On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 05:24:02AM +0100, Chris Jones wrote:

> It there is a bug fix for Linux, it is much easier to patch the kernel
> tree. SetFunction() was used on the Amiga for fixing bugs in the
> closed source OS and for straping on new functionality.

That wasn't really the issue: the problem was that a lot of the important
libraries were in ROM (that is, the code was in ROM; the library struct &
jump table were copied to RAM IIRC, otherwise SetFunction() wouldn't've
worked). Certainly exec.library, intuition.library, dos.library were all in
ROM.

--
If you think the problem is bad now, just wait until we've solved it.
                -- Arthur Kasspe