Re: Ooops galore on 2.2.10-ac11 (with info now ;)

Richard Guy Briggs (rgb@conscoop.ottawa.on.ca)
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 12:12:57 -0400 (EDT)

> On Wed, Jul 21, 1999 at 08:03:53PM -0400, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
> > Actually, the best you can do is to rebuild the kernel with serial console
> > enabled. Then connect it to another box with running a terminal program
> > in text-capture mode. Works for me.
>
> You supply me with either the cash or the box to do it with and
> I'll happily do it. :) Not everyone has more then one box to play
> with. Otherwise I'll -actually- describe whereabouts it happened. ;)
> Maybe it'll give someone a clue or a hint or something.
>
> Basically I was doing a dummy burn with cdrecord 1.8a23. The first
> attempt kinda failed. It froze with the burner being left with
> the busy light on. I couldn't eject the cd so I thought that another
> run at cdrecord might reset the burner and things would be ok. This
> is where it blew up. A whole bunch of rolling oopses (these suckers
> were huge too. the calltrace kept getting bigger. maybe something
> recursive went gaga?) and then a stop. nothing but alt-sysreq
> would work. Since I noticed that the process field in the oops
> was corrupted I tried alt-sysreq-T to see the process list. That's
> when things exploded again and it looked like the kernel was stuck
> in an infinate oops loop.

I have been seeing exactly this. It is not infinite, but it is pretty
long...it did stop eventually, after dumping the whole lot through a
serial terminal at 9600 baud. I assumed it was something I was
screwing up in our IPSEC module, maybe not.

One side question, where do I change the serial baud rate? If I
change it in lilo with an append= command, that only remembers the new
baud rate until the kernel has loaded, then goes back to 9600. Why?
Where can I change it more permanently?

> The way I stopped that was basically with a resethard reset. the
> vulcan nerve pinch didn't work. Right now I'm on 2.2.7ac4 which
> is the last kernel I consider stable. Everything is rosy again
> and I performed a successful burn later that night.

I didn't see this in 2.2.7 either.