Re: Measured overhead of timer interrupts

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Thu, 22 Jul 1999 15:21:46 +0200 (MEST)

kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:
> > We don't care about any apps that use the info exported
> > through /proc. All applications must be prepared to deal
> > with numeric values suddenly changing by an order of
> > magnitude after a kernel reconfiguration/upgrade. We will
> > do nothing to even try to help them detect this change.
> >
> > I hope i misundertood you.
>
> No, you understood me correctly. If some variable may jump
> and application is not ready to it, it is just buggy.
> If the variable was fixed for ages (as HZ), and then jumped
> unexpectedly, you have to upgrade.

I hope I misunderstood you.

HZ is not only exported through /proc . It is an external interface,
which applications can depend on. No matter what. They can depend on
"read" reading in a piece from a file, they can expect "sleep (1)" to
last a second, and they can expect HZ to be the value it was when the
application was compiled.

This also goes for commercial applications where joe random user
doesn't have the source for.

Roger.

------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------