Re: Mouse problem

Fred Reimer (fwr@ga.prestige.net)
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 14:08:36 -0400

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999, Mark Henry wrote:
> I've asked this question twice now. The only response I've gotten (that
> I've noticed) is from someone who's having a similar problem. If this
> is the wrong place to ask this question, then I'd appreciate it if
> someone could recommend where I should ask it.
> Anyway, the problem I'm having is that the wheel on my mouse (Logitech
> Cordless Wheel Mouse) does not work after upgrading to a newer kernel
> (I've tried two different 2.2.x kernels. The wheel worked fine in the
> 2.0.x kernels, though. When doing a simple "cat /dev/mouse," I of
> course get garbage for doing anything with the mouse except the wheel.
> In 2.0.x, that was different. Any suggestions?
>
> -Mark-

I'd say this is probably something with your setup, or with the
cordless model specifically. I have a Logitech wheelmouse (corded)
with P/N 811375 that has worked great with every 2.2 kernel I've tried
(2.2.2, 2.2.3, 2.2.5, 2.2.6, and 2.2.10).

What specific vesion of kernel were you using? Was it a "standard"
kernel or with distribution "tweaks?" What's the part number for your
mouse? How is it cordless? Does it communicate with a device that
plugs into the standard mouse port, or does it use something funky like
an IR port?

fwr