Re: Linux 2.2.11pre2 proposed patch

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 21 Jul 1999 09:14:05 +0100

On Wed, Jul 21, 1999 at 08:24:52AM +0100, BOSZORMENYI Zoltan wrote:

> > Note that there are two different techniques for working around the bug:
> >
> > - set the NO_LOCK bit in CR<whatever>; can cause problems in obscure
> > circumstances (Alan mentioned a graphics / accelerator card problem)
>
> To repeat myself: this crept into linux-2.2.8, ...

I know. I may have said 2.2.7 in a previous message by accident.

> > - do some undocumented magic provided by (or reverse engineered from)
> > Cyrix, that seems to modify the CPU behaviour when executing the
> > offending instruction, making to do a noop afterwards. I don't know
> > of any problems caused by this.
>
> ... and this is already in 2.2.10. Don't you guys read the code others
> write?
> :-(

I was summarising the two different fixes and any associated problem as I
understand them. I know about them *because* I read the code; what's your
problem?

--
Satellite Safety Tip #14:
    If you see a bright streak in the sky coming at you, duck.