Re: Linux 2.2.11pre2 proposed patch

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 18:29:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Frank [iso-8859-1] Matthieß wrote:

> As i know, the (v)fat is organize in clusters. This clusters can be identified
> by numbers. It's just an idea, but i think it's possible to 'map' this number
> to inode number, because, they are 16/32bit long. At this way there is no
> problem with changing inode number between reboots.
>
> Is it a bad idea ?

Yes. Please, look through archives - this horse was beaten to death back
in January. In short: empty files have no clusters; no, we can't allocate
a hidden cluster when we create a file since we may get a filesystem from
DOS and DOS doesn't do that; no, allocation upon open/stat/etc. is not
going to fly since -ENOSPC from stat() will confuse the heck of everything;
yes, all schemes along the lines "let's do something for Linux-only
setups" are braindead since there is no reasons to use FAT in such setups;
yes, FAT is in sore need of pointed stick, mallet and garlic; no, even its
authors can't kill the bloody thing and they would *like* to do that.