Re: FS corruption... some help maybe??

Cris Wade (quade@therim.net)
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 15:37:02 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999, Chris Pirih wrote:

> My NT box was last booted over a month ago. I shut it down then
> to take out a CDROM drive to loan to a friend. At that time it
> had been up for a couple of months. I use the machine every day,
> for email, news, web browsing, image editing, file serving, and
> GL Quake.

This has been totaly diffrent from my expearance. while NT dosent need
re-booted as much as Win 9x, it still needs it. I havent used NT with
Service Pack 4 or 5 (by the time they came out, I had given up on NT) but
with both NT workstation and Server I had to re-boot about every 3-4 days
of regular use. By this, I mean, e-mail, Quake, web browsing (I tried
both Netscape and IE both had problems), and using some accounting
software. My only expearance with NT staying up over a month was on a
little 486-50 with 32 megs RAM. this machine wasn't doing anything but
acting as a file server for 2 computers( it transferd about 100 Megs/day).
even with this, after a month, it just frose, no warning, nothing.

Microsoft may have fixed a few things with SP 4 or 5, but that realy isn't
the point, if an application leaks memory (which Netscape seams to do on a
regular basis) the OS should be smart enough to clean up after it, and
with NT, it never did, I needed to re-boot to clean it up. atleast with
Linux, the OS cleans up after bad programs (a kill -9 will do it every
time)

Cris Wade